08 October 2013

Cube Tweak

Introduction

Just a tweak on one of the changes made for the Theros update as well as a tweak in white. 

White
In                         Out
Savannah Lions Kor Skyfisher

Bringing back Savannah Lions to bolster the one drops in white. I always thought there was a higher density of one drops in white in my cube but it turns out that a few of them are actually not super aggressive cards or get better with a larger mana input...cards like Mikaeus, the Lunarch and Mother of Runes. Because of this, I looked through for a two drop that is replaceable to bring back Savannah Lions and found one.

Kor Skyfisher is getting cut because it isn't nearly as aggressive or fast as it looks on paper. Its raw stats are really pushed but the drawback of returning a permanent to your hand usually pushes it out of truly aggressive decks and keeps it in more mid-range shenanigans decks that want to reuse cards with CITP effects.  Returning a land to your hand is a lot more detrimental than I thought it would be and returning a creature post attack is pretty depressing as well because if it dies it is a lot worse for you than if any other creature you control dies. 

Black
In                        Out
Dauthi Slayer Hand of Cruelty

Dauthi Slayer comes back in as it was originally cut in favor of Tormented Hero. I still like the Hero and I think he is a solid addition.  However, I think there is a better cut than the Slayer which holds a lot of value in my playgroup and is played more heavily than Hand of Honor...which I will be cutting. Dauthi Slayer is a more efficient beater while simultaneously getting rid of a hate bear that was still kicking around. Hand of Cruelty blocks better but I don't think that's particularly important in that archetype and did I mention I hate hate bears in general?  I think this is a much better cut and that has been supported within my playgroup.

Conclusion

Not a lot of changes here but I think both of these are correct and show the value of looking at past picks with a new perspective. See you for Born of the Gods!  Until then...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kaldheim Cube Update

  Introduction Hello everyone and welcome to the Kaldheim Cube Update! I'd like to talk about the set mechanics before we get into the i...