04 February 2013

Gatecrash Cube Update - Part Deux

Gatecrash Cube Update - Part Deux

Introduction

After discussion with some of my playgroup we have agreed that a couple things should be amended in my Gatecrash Cube Update.  Ahem.

Psyche! - It's In After All

I didn't really have any convincing reasons for not including Frontline Medic and I think the reason why is because there weren't enough convincing ones and he should not have been left out at all.  I am trying enough other cards out this go-round that I think I can try this one out too, especially since I found a card to cut almost immediately.

And that card is, you ask?

Let's Say Goodbye To

I have played with this guy a lot and through my experience I don't think I have used his ability more than once or twice.  In the aggro deck I always want to play first so shouldn't ever be behind on land drops.  Even in the event that I am, I don't want to skip my two drop to cast this guy on turn three even if it means netting a mana in return.  When you look at it that way, he's a WW creature that is probably just worse than the protection knights that I routed out a long time ago.  It's time for this one to move on too.

Double Psyche!  You Are Also In!

Cloudfin Raptor was initially excluded due to his lackluster board presence should he be drawn in later turns of a game or not properly followed by successive creature drops.  After discussion with my fellow cube-mate Holmes and my cube-aggro enthusiast Rick we have agreed that despite these potential pitfalls the upside of the Raptor was a little too high to pass up.  The fact of the matter is, you need to be able to drop two creatures in order for this guy to be worth it.  That said, his 0 power almost ensures that both creatures will successfully trigger evolve and after that, it's gravy.

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

A 2/1 flier for one mana is incredibly ambitious and Spindrift Drake was accepted into the cube when we were trying out aggro/tempo in blue.  While the experiment was a success, the Drake really didn't have a large part in it.  As it turns out, paying U every upkeep is a really high cost!  Having to set yourself back each turn is not only frustrating but debilitating when you consider curving out and potential equipment/response costs in blue.  Now that there is a suitable replacement for this guy I feel good about the cut.

Conclusion

See?  Your input is important!  Cube is a prickly and finicky beast and it's hard to get it right every time.  Even I make mistakes.  So it's up to you guys to keep me honest in case I miss-evaluate a card or just to give me a new perspective on things.  So special thanks to Kevin Holmes and Rick Dojan for these amendments and I will see you for Dragon's Maze!

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kaldheim Cube Update

  Introduction Hello everyone and welcome to the Kaldheim Cube Update! I'd like to talk about the set mechanics before we get into the i...